Monday, September 1, 2008

Star Wars

Yes.

Star Wars.

I watched Episode V this last weekend and wished I had it on DVD.  The miracles that digital quality brings to us... I also remember watching the Lucas-narrated documentary on how some of the sounds (laser blasters, light sabers, Imperial Walkers, etc.) were created.  Some being quite ingenious- Blasters being my favorite.  I think they were a sped-up version of a monkey wrench hitting a steel wire harness holding up a power line.  Good ideas.  

X-Men.

I watched X-Men United (the second of the three) as well this weekend.  Thank you SCSU for giving us a break so soon in the year.  The interesting audio question that I got from this episode was: "how do you decide what 'moving a piece of metal (a lighter for example) through the air with mutant powers' sounds like?"  A good question indeed.  Since I doubt anyone has such natural-born ability it must be another creative idea that is made from nothing.  Even using electromagnets there probably wouldn't be any sound when moving the item (even the slight hum of electric signal) so there is an element of what is expected when they think up sounds that do not naturally occur.  The same goes for ambient sounds in a high-security insane asylum like the one in Silence of the Lambs (did everyone go out and rent it???) I doubt one can record the sounds of their own psyche whilst being insane.  Although there would also be little evidence that one can't either.  Moving on.

My post really only serves as a "hey, that's interesting to me" column, but I hope something I said makes you think of something you think is interesting in one of your pastimes.

End.

No comments: