Thursday, September 25, 2008

Spore vs. Everything Else

Dilemma?  I think so.

I was futzing around the internet the other day when I remember my roommates staring at one of their computer screens in awe of this new game that was in the making or has already come out- I haven't read far enough into it to figure it out.  Although I did watch the 35 minute video that accompanied it.


I thought it was pretty ingenious.  It has less to do with sound however than this class may demand, but hey, it's pretty damn cool.

I wonder though how someone actually thinks of this stuff.  At what point does detail keep a system like this from being complete?  For example- the sound in the game seems to lack something in quality from what we can tell.  It is more 'cartoony' than I would really like, but then again, I'm a 23 year old talking about video games.  Brings up another question- how old is too old to marvel at what is now possible with these gaming consoles.  I would say: dead.  You're never too old.

It makes me wonder if someone will take any charge of a music program that runs under the processor of one of these new consoles?  Integrating the controllability of the 'game' aspect and the randomness of the impossibility to be absolutely accurate with the interfaces that are currently present.

(I am mixing the line between pc games and console games at this point- but all the same)

What are some of the interesting ways a graphic interface in a game could lead to new ways of creating sound or music?  If you look at all the controls that are evident in this 'Spore' game- you would think that there would be some demand for something like it.

But yes.  Just a simple plug for the game.  And possibly for anyone who writes code for a major video game company to make a game that is solely for making music and different sounds.

No comments: