Sunday, September 21, 2008

Lost Again

As I will be doing with many of my "whilst watching tv regularly" blogs- I will refer to and talk about lost mainly.  After a few too many years of having lots of stuff to do with school and outside of school, I've found that tv is quite a time consumer and is also loosing it's touch with some of it's watchers.  There is only so much reality tv that can be consumed by a viewer of even a high-schoolers' intelligence.  And since this has been the 'buzz' for the last couple years, I have lost touch with tv.  For the better.

Lost.

My post may be more made up of questions than statements, but I assure you they will be interspersed liberally.

My first question is about the modes of listening vs. instinct and learned behavior.  (spoiler warning)  In seasons 1-4 there is a 'monster' on the island.  This monster is yet to be totally explained by the show, but there are fluttering rumors here and there on the internet that conclude it's source and composition.  The interesting thing about some of these wikis (if you clicked the link and looked) is that this monster is deconstructed down to even it's sound.  Some ask why it has a mechanical (the ratcheting) and a organic sound (the growling).  I was first drawn to the sound in the first season by the causal type of listening.  I was interested to know what it looked like: seeing what is causing the noise (which was all that was presented).  Later when we finally see the monster (yes you see it eventually- it's still pretty weird even if I explained it to you- so I wont for the sake of you going and watching the entirety of the show)[wow, long parenthetical segue there, continuing on] ... later when we finally see the monster, you wonder why it is making these sounds.  There is this disconnect from what you were expecting.  Now the cause is distracted by what I think is an instinctual process involving semantics.  

Now our language is set up to hold arbitrary meaning to certain sounds we produce, but we are also wired to (thanks to Dr. Miller for this) "run away from loud growling noises".  No matter what form they take, there is a brief period where we cannot (unless have practiced or have chronic ataraxia) control our fear of this sound for any reason.  So I ask:  is this actually semantic?  Are our instinctual cues 'us understanding embedded information'?  Or are they something else?  

And to touch on the last mode: In the wiki they look into what the sound sounds like for it's own qualitative sake.

Boom!

No comments: