Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Little Off Topic

I spent my time earlier tonight (this morning?) finishing up a rough draft for a paper I have due early next week. Part of my writing process (god, does that sound as pretentious as I think it does?) is that I listen to some type of audio when I write.
I find that having auditory stimulation helps me work more creatively and more quickly. I actually believe that I get my best ideas by playing off what I hear in my headphones.
I do not always listen to music though. Sometimes I will load a movie to listening to while I work. This is probably sounds a bit ridiculous but as long as I am dealing with a film or episode or scene that is not extremely visually driven I find I can still pick up plot points and feel like I am watching the movie.
Interestingly enough, I had a strange experience for the first time from doing this. While working extremely tired, I have just found out that I can listen to music while I work but I cannot listen to any form of cinema. I found it hard to write while tired AND listen to a film. I found my mind drifted towards my work or the film..
Perhaps this is just some strange quirk of mine but I would love to hear if anyone has noticed something similar.

1 comment:

Alex said...

***WARNING*** Same warning from below applies to this blog.