Sunday, September 14, 2008

Machinema

For those of you machinema fans, I have a good one for you.  I found this rummaging through the leagues of Halo 3 videos on YouTube (there are quite a lot of good ones) and this one piqued my interest.


So just to get you into the film, this is an 'edited for time' sequence of nearly the entire gist of the movie.  It is using various sequences from the video game Halo 3 and it's replay theater and saving mechanism.  These are relatively easy to create compared to actual taping of a movie such as this.  It is edited quite well compared to some.

My first impression of it was sort of startled.  For those of you that haven't seen the actual movie- it's pretty good- go rent it or netflix it- or watch the entire machinema.  I had more of a connection to the movie than with the visuals.  The sound was where all the emotion was in my opinion.  The same places that freaked me out in the movie freaked me out in this- and I have to be honest with you- Halo 3 characters don't really scare me- even if they are green and the 'screen' is shaking.  It's just not the same.  But since the sound is still exactly the same and in synch with the video the effect is still felt.  I was not expecting this, especially after such episodes as Red vs. Blue which relies more on a slight knowledge of the Halo series rather than a feature length film.

I wouldn't say that I am yet a rabid fan of this type of creation, but I am definitely interested in why it operates between and beyond the lines of Game vs. Film.


Warning- last link contains mild to extreme amounts of William Shatner and aliens.

No comments: