Sunday, September 28, 2008

Let there be sound!

I believe that the addition of sound to cinema was inevitable. To believe that the visual medium of film would remain separate from sound while trying to convey a sense of reality is nonsense. How can the audience be immersed in the cinematic reality when an entire sense is denied? Well, I’ll move on to the bulk of the blog now although I guess I gave my views away already.
I, also, think that the addition of audio to films was a positive step in film history. Audio replaced the old text stills that were common of early era cinema. These stills were a clumsy way to handle a lack of dialogue and sound effects and, in a way, a clumsy way to handle plot. As I stated early, it caused films to be less engrossing as the audience would have to view abrupt cuts to text stills and back again.
I do appreciate the skills of silent film stars, however. Without audio, stars were forced to perform purely visually, as such; their theatric skills were greatly needed. With the addition of audio, actors perform both visually and aurally and, as some people believe; this dividing of an actor’s attention causes a loss of performance in either aspect. Any halving of an actor’s attention is also the halving of an actor’s burden. No longer are actors required to convey emotion, or drive plot purely through motion.

No comments: