Saturday, September 27, 2008

Cinema Without Sound

I can't really say that I disagreed with the readings or that I really agreed with them either mostly because I'm really not all that clear on the definition of Montage. As far as I am concerned movies without sound are, well to put it kindly, Boring. I’ve spent the last three days watching the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. One very long movie per night makes for lots of sound.

Let me tell you I think I’ve found the greatest way to watch horror and suspense films… without sound. Ironically the idea of being eaten alive by a gigantic spider is not nearly as scary when you can’t hear what it sounds like. Unfortunately, when you play the scene where Frodo is being stalked and chased by the spider, including the part where it’s dragging him away and Sam saves the day it’s definitely an experience that leads to nightmares. So not something I want to dream about.

I think that the idea of sound taking away from film may apply toward the effort put forth to make thing interesting in the acting of early films, but the films of today seem to be missing something without the sound to accompany them.

No comments: