Sunday, September 14, 2008

Obviously Over-Dubbed

Due to yet another weekend at Camp Ripley, and another failed PT test which will inevitably result in me limping to class on Monday, I was feeling really lazy and thought about using a few examples from some more obvious films this week like Alvin and the Chipmunks and then I realized that was way too easy and not nearly interesting enough to write about.

Don't get me wrong, I love the film. Especially the scene where Alvin is showering in the dishwasher while singing what has to be the most annoying song on the planet and then proceeds to tell Dave, "I was waiting for the rinse cycle!" Hey, it's cute! But I figured that was pretty much obvious since it was a cartoon and with clearly edited sound and kind of like cheating so I decided to find a few different examples and found it to be a bit harder than I thought it would be.

It's kind of ironic, every now and then, there's this big editing mistake and we joke about it like it happens every day, but I realized by doing this assignment, that it really doesn't and I actually had to listen and watch very critically to notice just how much work actually goes into the sound editing of a film. It really is amazing just how far the world of sound editing has come in the last 30 years or so.

No comments: