Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Sound of Space

I guess I really don't have any statements I think I can make in this blog but I do have a lot of questions. Why are there so many sound effects that occur in space? Everything from laser blasts, explosions to even spaceships moving has some kind of corresponding sound effect. I’ve never understood the overlying need for sound engineers or directors to animate space with sound.
I suppose it could be seen as a way to drive the actions or plot. Or perhaps it is meant to prevent the audience from feeling uneasy or anxious as cutting to a scene without a lack of audio is very jarring. It still seems disingenuous to me to place sound into a scene in which there naturally is not any sound.
What is really interesting is there is sound in space, such as, celestial objects that emit waves that can be interpreted via sound instead of graphs. In fact, every planet (or dwarf planet) emits a unique sound. I was hoping to find a link of an example but apparently I am failing at searching right now.

No comments: