Sunday, September 14, 2008

Odd Things That You Never Really Notice...

I mentioned in my other Blog that I really had to pay close attention to the film to find good examples of over-dubbing and I wasn’t joking. There's a neat little scene at the beginning of Mr. Deeds that I had never noticed before that I'm pretty sure was over-dubbed where Adam Sandler hits a tennis ball and it breaks a screen of glass that falls semi-slowly down the screen and breaks apart in a way that looks like it's been completely computer generated in which case, the sound would mostly have been added in later. I’ve seen this film at least a dozen times and I’ve never even noticed it once.

I also noticed later on in the film where Emilio is hitting Deeds foot with the fire poker that each time he swings the poker at his foot it makes this metallic clanking sound that really works for the film, but nowhere close to reality.

There’s also the beginning of the girls wrestling scene towards the end of the film where the older lady Jan starts to crack her neck repeatedly which is absolutely hilarious but also completely unnatural and awful painful sounding. It’s almost foreboding in a way, like it hints at what’s going to happen next. It’s just something else that till this week I never gave a lot of thought to. Maybe I should pay closer attention more often.

No comments: