Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Toy Tweaking

If youtube is any indication (no I'm not going to post a crappy video with this blog), toy tweaking seems to be a common interest among DIYers in this day and age. Personally, I do not get the fascination as much as others. Sure, toys squeak and squeal, they make hundreds of noises great and small yet in the end they are just noise making circuits. That is all and no different than a home built oscillator or contact mic or some other homemade way of making sound. I guess part of it is ease, why build the circuit when you can buy it made cheap, and part of it, I think, is we respect our own projects too much to bust them up. Part of it might be too the evil enjoyment of making something that is made to be entertaining to children (but annoying to adults) and tweaking it to make horrible noise.
All this is not to say that I do not enjoy circuit bending at all. In fact, one of my favorite things to do that I learned in this class is to bend a circuit using just my hands. There is something about taking a thing that is supposed to be artificially controlled and messing with it in such an organic way. No, I quite enjoy circuit bending. I just do not enjoy tweaking toys as some others. No specific reason. I enjoy doing it as much as tweaking other circuits and may be that is it. I do not see it different than any other circuit while others may put some value to it.

No comments: