Saturday, May 8, 2010

Solder Practice

The first time I attempted to solder together a circuit was a complete disaster. All of the circuits I had created up to this point had been done on bread boards which do not require soldering. The reason for my failure was that I assumed circuit boards are set up in the same fashion as most breadboards. This is not true. It seems that circuit boards require close examination in order to determine how to set up your circuit. I had made the mistake of setting up my circuit on the circuit board in the exact same way I had set it up on the bread board. I had spent about six hours carefully soldering and de-soldering before I realized that my circuit was completely useless. On the bright side of things, the experience made me much better at soldering circuits. Re-doing the entire circuit correctly, took only about three hours. I also learned how to adapt my circuits to the interesting and sometimes confusing designs of circuit boards.

No comments: