Monday, May 3, 2010

The Diddley Bow

One of the projects I looked forward to the most in this class was the construction of our homemade guitars (or diddley bows as they are sometimes known). Part of it is I have a fascination with homemade instruments (the project listed as tape head violin has my interest as a possible summer project) and part of it probably lies in a deeper and dirty shadow of my subconscious that I care not to explore or reveal.
Yet, I would also lay blame at one group in particular - blues musicians. The blues has always been a music at root in the folk traditions of African Americans. In the later 19th and early 20th centuries, African Americans suffered from institutionalized racism and, as such, oppression occurred not only socially but also economically. African American blues musicians of the early 20th century often created their music with homemade instruments. This tradition greatly affected the development of rock and roll as the homemade instrumental music of early blues musicians later influenced British skiffle bands which in turn gave rise to British invasion bands such as the Beatles, the Stones, etc.
With all the history, how could I not be interested? On top of that the summer this academic year before I discovered an artist called Seasick Steve. He has created and performed songs with his custom built diddley bow and that is where and why the instrument captured my attention the most. Below is a link to Seasick Steve playing a song titled "Save Me" on his custom diddley bow (perhaps custom is a bit redundant now that I look at it). For all its flaws, one has to respect the honesty of such music.

Seasick Steve - Save Me

No comments: