Friday, May 7, 2010

The Hex Schmitt Trigger aka 74C14

Bad integrated circuit! Very bad! Your oscillators fail to maintain independence from one another! Bad! I've never liked this chip. Six oscillators sounds like a great deal, until you realize that they all leak into each other and form an ugly jumble of sounds. I attempted to use a series of diodes and resistors detailed in the textbook to separate them; still an ugly jumble. Some people might enjoy ugly jumbles, I do not. Synthesized sounds should be clean and pure, or dirty with intermittent bits of purity, or clean with bits of impurity, but never ugly jumbles. The only way to isolate the signals is to use an amplifier for each one. Who can afford that many batteries? You can get one good oscillator out of this thing. Don't try any more because it will sound like an ugly jumble. I suppose this is the downside to using circuitry that was never intended for sound applications. I guess it's possible I wired it incorrectly, or I have a bad chip; but the 14093 is so much more awesome that I don't even want to look at a Hex Schmitt again.

No comments: