Sunday, May 2, 2010

DIY Audio - The Beginning

To be honest, when I first entered this course, I had no idea what DIY Audio might entail. My only experiences with audio equipment were those as a consumer. I have dealt with audio equipment as a stage performer (as I am sure nearly everyone who will read this has) and faulty amps, cabs, and mics were the bane of my existence (as I am sure nearly everyone who will read this will agree).

As such, I have grown cautious in my dealings with the Electronic Audio Gods. Sacrifices, while abhorrent as they are, are necessary and you take the Gods' smiling benevolence when you can and weather, best you can, the droughts of happiness when they come. Messing with equipment, beyond the mildest affair of using prebuilt equipment to mess with the output of prebuilt equipment, seemed sacrilege.

But I think any artist might agree that from great sacrilege arises great art. I will not make any such claim to my own meadanderings and tinkerings nor am I anymore even in any way performer of music any more. I will state, however, that this class as at least shown me the hint of possibilities in available in the DIY scene. If I were a composer, I could see myself working with this kind of instrumentation and music; but then again I'm attracted to the new.

No comments: