Friday, May 7, 2010

That Amplitude Follower / Gate Thingy

By far the most complicated circuit we built in class. I understand the uses it might have but in my opinion the returns don't warrant the effort. Other than making mp3 players sputter with oscillator controlled volume it doesn't seem to serve much purpose. I mean, the lights are pretty and all, but I want my circuits to generate sounds not follow them. I suppose if you were building a stereo it would be a useful indicator of volume, but I don't frequently build stereos. And what happened to our class playtime? That's the best part! Another note to Twombly: Don't cut out playtime. Also, get some of those frequency divider chips next time around, simpler and way cooler than amp tracking.


Hmmm... now that I think about it though, it might be interesting to modulate the amplitude of one oscillator with another oscillator. Perhaps a summer project?

No comments: