Friday, May 7, 2010

The Electret Microphone

My knowledge of Electret Microphones is limited, even after an extended visit to Wikipedia I still don't know much about them. Apparently, electret microphones have a permanent static charge stored inside a dielectric material, this removes the need for phantom power to the capacitor which is required in traditional condenser microphones. You still need a powered preamplifier though. They make them by melting plastic in an electric field or something. It seems the main advantage of the electret mic is its cheap production cost. Wiki says your cellphones and computers probably use them, and over 1 billion are produced every year.

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of microphones. In my opinion sound synthesis is so much cooler than sound reproduction. Granted you can probably find some way to take the output of the microphone and alter it (say filtration via aforementioned contact mic), but I'd rather spend my time with the mathematical purity of integrated circuit oscillators. Mmmmm....integrated circuit oscillators. I also find it rather annoying that getting this thing to make audible sound requires an additional 9 volt battery. I don't have the money to support such lavish power needs. I'd rather save my cash and listen to my hair with the contact mic.

No comments: