Friday, May 7, 2010

Guitar Pickups

Our Guitar Pickups combine two of my favorite things: Powerful magnets, and copper coils. I don't quite understand how a magnet that is glued into the center of the spool can vibrate enough to induce a current. But it does, and I guess that's all I really need to know. My guitar was a soprano as I could only find a two foot stick. Fun but tragically limited to the fundamental and harmonics by the single string setup. Frets would be useful. I thought it might be fun to pair a series of pickups to a few strings, but I found out someone beat me to it already. I briefly experimented with trying to pickup signals from other things, but results were similar to a poorly constructed telephone pickup.

I'm much more interested in building the inverse of a pickup: a speaker. Note to Twombly: consider adding a speaker assembly day, there was a disappointing lack of copper coils this semester. Better yet, build the amp circuit and a speaker early on and we can use homemade speakers on the other projects.

No comments: