Friday, May 7, 2010

Childhood Distortions

Who doesn't love to hack the toys? I fondly recall the drunken ramblings of my Leapfrog Phonics Teacher as she lethargically inquired if I could spell "cat" whilst the inner workings of her brain were being subjected to ungodly abuses at my hands. Curse her surface mounted resistors! I was never able to wire in a potentiometer, so satisfied myself by removing components until her voice became indistinguishable. Can you spell: spare parts?

I had better luck with the nameless pan-cultural child depicted on the front of my Playschool cellular phone. At least he was kind enough to show an interest in whatever I was doing that day. His circuits were large enough to allow variable resistor control. Useful for speeding up dull conversations.

Experiments with voltage starving (suggested by the textbook) were ineffective for both of these toys. I think it'd be more interesting to tamper with a less "scripted" toy such as a keyboard. If you watched the DVD that came with our book then you saw the Casio circuit beneath the ornamental waterfall. Awesome.

No comments: