Sunday, October 12, 2008

Tour de Theatre

I have to say that the tour of the waite park movie theater on Friday was pretty cool. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect and I was surprised by whets really going on behind the little glass window up in the back of the theater.

My favorite part of the tour was the projector bulbs. A 600 watt light bulb that will blind you if you look at it and could violently explode if mishandled... pretty darn kewl. I wonder how much those bulbs cost, I should have asked. Even if I got my hands on one though, a ballast of some sort to power it is probably a fortune. I bet a 600 watt projector bulb would be great for indoor gardening.

It was also very interesting how the film sound is all analog. I was sure it would be completely digital by now. Having a syncing strip running down the side of the film was also an interesting concept. I just thought of a lot of questions concerning that, however. I would like to know how the projector reads the "blue strip" and how the syncing takes place. I would also like to know how the sound source is set up. Is it one long recording of the all the films sound as it should be heard on screen? Or could it be an archive of all the movies individual sounds which would be triggered by the blue strip? The latter seems unlikely now, but it would be kinda neat if it were true.

The speaker setup in the theater we went into wasn’t really spectacular. I never had any idea that much of the sound was coming from behind the screen. It’s obvious now, but I would have probably never really questioned it, had it not been for the tour.

Overall, it was a pretty cool time, I enjoyed the tour very much, thx Twombly :)

No comments: