Sunday, October 5, 2008

Montage

I’ve been wracking my brain all day to figure out what else to write about because I have honestly not turned on the TV all week. So I thought back to our class discussion this week and remembered discussing the concept of montage and what it is as well as how sound affects these scenes.

I just happened to remember that there is a great example of montage at the end of the film Definitely Maybe where the daughter is kind of scolding her father and then the scenes change and progress through about three different screens until the characters reach the arrival scene outside the friend’s apartment, but the music stays the same until then. Even though it's a fairly short example, I thought that this set of scenes really fit the definition of montage and helped me to understand it a little better. I do have to say that while I understand the point that Eisenstein makes, I didn’t find anything unfitting about just hearing one musical accompaniment throughout these scenes, if anything, the accompaniment seemed to connect them together. But maybe that’s because I’m so used to hearing sound used the way it is.

No comments: