Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cartoons Are Great

In a rush to get in this week’s Blogs before Friday, I cheated miserably and decided to check out a new film I haven't seen yet. So I rented Ratatouille, I mean what could be better for studying the idea of using fake sounds to create a realistic experience than a cartoon movie about a talking rat that wants to be a chef.

There were a lot of examples of Visual and Audio irony. The best scene for this was the scene in the evil food critic’s office, in which sad and depressing music accompanies the frame of the office which was fittingly depicted in the shape of a coffin. I'm not really sure where I stand on the philosophy behind the realism of the sound in film when most of the sounds in film are faked to create the illusion of reality.

But then again, I did watch a film that in the real world would be absolutely insane, yet on screen made complete sense. As long as I could hear the pans clanging, the fires starting and everything was synchronized I had no problem at all imagining a clan of rats cooking dinner in a three star restaurant in France. I understand how this idea of realization is created, I just don’t know if the I really believe that there is a really successful philosophy behind it, because it is ironic how it works.

No comments: