Friday, October 17, 2008

Similar Sounds

Since we spent the week discussing how most of the sounds in film are added in afterward and then synced together to create the illusion of reality, I got to thinking about how many different sounds in a film have to been created. In Lord of the Rings the sound of a walrus was used for the cave troll and other sounds were used for the orcs and goblins.

This got me thinking about other obviously substituted sounds. I’m curious as to what sounds were used to represent the T- Rex in the comedy One Night at the Museum? It sounds to me like a mixture of a lion and something else but I’m not sure exactly what. The animal sounds were fairly realistic throughout the film, but I’m pretty sure that they were added in after the filming. And lastly, the mummy, I’m not so sure on what that sound was either.

Mentally, I’m creating a list of all the fantasy and fiction movies I’ve seen and comparing the use of all these different sound heard in each one. I’d be willing to bet that a lions roar has probably been used as sound for every dragon film I’ve seen, whether it be the fireworks dragon in LOTR’s, Saphira from Eragon or even the multitude of different dragons created for the film Dungeons & Dragons. Yet no one ever seems to think that there is anything odd about it. This really shows just how easy it is for film makers to fool the audience just by using this practice of syncing sound and visuals.

No comments: