Sunday, October 19, 2008

Theatre and Film (My Colored View)

As a creative writing major, I cannot help but see film as a logical extension of theatre. In fact, despite certain formatting requirements and issues, playwriting and screenplay composition are closely related. Dialogue is the bulk of the writers work even they also compose a brief description of any related actions. However, the action in a given scene must, in the end, be interpreted and partially composed by a director.
Most of you no doubt have realized this relationship or, at least, suspected it and I am by no means trying to sell this intermixing of film and theatre as my own idea. The reason I am bringing this up is because I want to dredge up some old arguments that we have discussing, specifically, I want to bring up the addition of audio to film. I know we have done an entire blog about this but I thought I would add two more cents to the two cents I have already given.
If we see cinema as an extension of theatre than it is completely illogical to expect that sound would remain out of the realm of film. The theatre is an audio medium as much as it is a visual one and it is almost arguably more audio based than visual. I wonder why people can pine for the “golden age” of silent film when anyone with any decent foresight (or in our modern view, hindsight) could see that a lack of audio was merely a technological hurdle to eventually be overcome. Audio in film was more than eventuality, it is a return to the truth of form for a theatre based cinematic experience.

No comments: