Monday, December 3, 2007

Scary Music!!! : Perceiving the perceptions

This past weekend I had a lengthy conversation with a lady friend and at the beginning of this talk I was greeted by a shreek followed by "Are you listening to scary music?"

I was playing a band that I am friends with that I was previously planning to take this girl to in a couple of weeks because she had never been to the club they are playing. Now, we'll see because what she was referring to by SCARY MUSIC was music with screaming. I guess i hadn't realized how normalized it has become to me because now it's like no big the and the WEIRD stuff i listen to is associated with these new media classes in my own mind. I dare to say i don't think i'll be playing it for her anytime soon due to a lot of explaining needed to get to a point where she could comprehend the purpose.

This really helped me get a better grip of connotations of what is music. Really i have been grouping new media music into the CRAZY and WEIRD categories without realizing that that's what people near me think about the music that i enjoy on a daily basis. I have "perceived perceptions" in a new way and i'm glad this conversation with the girl took place. Really i have been trying hard to accept new media into the realm of MUSICAL PIECES or WORKS but at the same time unconciously denying it that very right. I've felt like it's just crazy even though i get the technical and skillful aspects correlated with the music.

My point is...No matter what you enjoy listening to, someone find its to be CRAZY or STUPID and any genre of music should be considered as quality. You just have to learn to perceive the perceptions you've known your whole life in a new way.

Chris Lundeen

No comments: