Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sparks

The first event done at the Walker was entitled "Siren" by Ray Lee. We walked into a space that looked like backstage to me. I in fact found that space for this presentation very interesting. I still wonder how the performance of this would have been in an open auditorium instead of having concrete walls enclosing the sounds.

The performance was started one tone at a time. I like this in fact, because it gave us (audience) the chance to incorporate each sound to each other or by themselves. If say the sounds were set off at the same time I would have not gotten as much from that. As more of the tones are set off you get kind of a drone sound. Then the arms on the metal tripods were set to spin at different speeds, which caused a rhythmic pattern depending on where you were standing. This was also very interesting for me, because what I saw was the tripods which were lower to the ground were set off first, causing them to reach the maximum rotation speed first. So at one point in time I heard a rhythmic patter coming from high tones. As the lower tripods started to slow down the high tripods were spinning faster so then I got a rhythmic patter from different tones.

I liked the lights on the tripods very much. I think they added a visual effect along with the sounds, more so when the lights were turned off. That was sweet as heck. Here is a picture: http://calendar.walkerart.org/enlarge.wac?id=10820

More to come..........

No comments: