Thursday, November 13, 2008

Preparation

I had been holding out on things to write for a few of my 'choice' blogs.  And with little to no topics taking priority over my recital, I figure I would spout something about it.

November 19th, Wednesday - 6pm.  Recital Hall.  Be there.

So as I had no idea what to expect while trying to organize a composition/new media recital, my last month has been very trying.  Also, you have to consider that half of the performances don't include players, so for the traditional comp students:  I take my proverbial hat off to you.

Some of the biggest struggles are due to writing a piece the semester of a performance.  I am not exactly the fastest composer, and would still probably not take any pride in saying that I composed a piece in a day (lie) but the piece I wrote for this semester was especially challenging.  As of this day- I have no idea how it sounds except for what I think it should sound like in my head.  This would be the first piece that I wrote out completely on paper before inputting it into a notation program.  Even once it was there, there were some technical issues with notating vs. accurate playback.  You can really only achieve one of them to satisfaction with only a small window of time with instruments such as percussion.  Or at least from my experience.  If you have a good idea on fixing this- feel free to let me know.

Another challenge is organizing performers.  At this stage in the 'game' it is difficult to find student performers that have enough time, and also- that all of them have the same time open once they do have enough time.  It hurts my brain to think about.  But as the scenario pans out, things usually fall into place.  And if not- we're musicians- We'll improvise.

So.  Just needed to vent if anything.  It should be a fun show.  Full of varying things to listen to.

No comments: