Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Musing or May be a Rant

It is not often that a lack of synchresis bothers me. In fact, there are certain films that I might enjoy all the more because of it. At least for me, this increases my enjoyment of old western films and old kung fu movies. The lack of a solid audiovisual contract becomes a unique aspect onto the reality of the film. Dare I say that this lack of synchresis almost becomes natural in these films?
But this is a double edged sword, as I have learned. I find that, as a viewer or member of an audience, I hold complete disdain for this when it occurs outside those film genres. I have a hard time watching late 70s and early 80s action films. The lack of any synchronization in punches or gunshots or even dialogue sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
I even believe that at certain points or in certain films, it seems like this lack of synchronization is on purpose. As if the sound designer were trying to capture or create that unique aspect of reality in other films and splice it onto his own film. Personally, I think it is arrogant to try and foolish to believe it is a good idea.
May be I do not know what I am talking about. May be I am assuming a lot of sound designers who have limited funds, technology, and time. But still it’s hard to watch something like Magnum Force and believe sound designers were still struggling with the same woes that they had nearly a decade previous.

No comments: