Monday, November 24, 2008

Music Videos

Since I cancelled my cable because one, there's really nothing good on and two, I don't really watch a lot of TV and spend much more time surfing the net, I have to admit I haven't really watched a lot of music videos lately. In fact, the closest I've really ever came to thoroughly watch music videos is CMT and the last time I watched anything on that station was, well I can't really remember.

I thought that the few videos we watched the other day were fairly interesting. I still don't truly understand the thought process behind a video for techno music, but I have seen stranger things. I've seen the one with the guitar and red and white drum set before, I just can't remember where.

To be honest, I've never really got into music videos. I've always felt that music should be able to send a message to the listener and that message should be clear without needing any outside support. Which, quite frankly, most music videos fail to do anyway, they rarely as a whole are vital to, or strongly support the over all theme within a song. As a matter of fact, I'd even go so far to say that there are videos I've seen that I think ruined my experience of songs in the past, hence my less than stellar enthusiasm toward them. And I think it is mostly to do with the fact that when I hear a song, my mind paints this picture for me of what is generally happening in the piece and then when I watch a music video that has nothing to do with the lyrics I heard or doesn't fit the feel of the music at all. It just leaves me with a feeling like something vital is missing and it doesn't feel quite right. I don't know, maybe I expect to much from what I watch or maybe I just tend to look for different things when I watch TV in general.

No comments: