Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Still Nothing That Rhymes with Radio

Ah, postponed-post.

"Radio Music" is always a fun piece to perform in my opinion. There is always some difference in every performance that brings to my mental table another sample of sound that I have not heard before. There is always this energy between engaged performers that makes the piece almost more enjoyable to the performer than the audience- I will have to assume this because I have never seen an audience while performing the piece. But we will see soon maybe, possibly?

My critiques for our performance would be that we could have tried moving around the room to find different timbres for each radio's sound, plus adding another form of spacializaion in addition to having the radios placed in differing locations around the room. I remember a movie in Music History where Cage was performing one of his "Circus's" and the performers were walking around while performing, and to me, this would create a more amiable sound- at least in volume, to the audience instead of just raising and lowering the volume from the radio itself. Hey, and the more sound manipulation the better, eh? eh?

I did particularly like the "transposition" of the piece into the FM bandwidth. This could also have a lot more connotations though, this "transposition." What if every performer had access to XM radio and could make a continuous stream of stations that way. I don't know if that is physically possible at the moment, but it would definitely open up a huge range of timbres and sounds that maybe haven't been explored.

Go ahead, try it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"daddy-o" ... ?

Dr. Lime! said...

Ronnie James Dio!