Sunday, November 11, 2007

Penduludium. It's the New Sonata.

Pendulum Music.

Remember when we did that? I almost don't. But I luckily still do. So as a new rule to myself, which I hopefully will abide by, I am going to attempt to update this blog faster than I have been in the recent past. We will see how long this lasts. Probably until the end of the semester.

So... My first question/response to our couple of performances is:


1. How can we reproduce this amazing *THAWOMP!* sound on a second occasion?


This question comes from a specific part of our first performance where Isaac's speaker setup was producing an incredibly low frequency with some pretty sweet low-level distortion (from what I could hear). This sort of sound deserves to be preserved, why?... Just my opinion. This is just one of those pieces that it wouldn't be to bad of an idea to record some results every so often just for chance purposes- especially if you are into sounds that aren't regularly heard- that are also not digitally manipulated with any sort of software. It reminded me a lot of some of the sound-ideas that we come up with in MUSM 437: DYI Audio. Check it out if you are tech*slash*music savvy- or aren't and want to be.

So... I am pretty sure I made enough of a fuss in class for everyone that was there to know how much I enjoyed just one of the sounds produced so I will leave that to rest.

The other times we performed the piece I was not as stunned. Well, I take that back. The sound probably stunned me either way because of the volume even with earplugs in.

But sort of on the same lines of that low frequency- I Wiki'ed for a while the other night and found a little bit more about "brown-noise" which we talked about a while back. (I have no idea what I was looking for, but landed on Brownian motion and the random functions therein and found a whole page of different types of noise. Brown, Pink, Grey, White, Red... all with different frequency/amplitude relationships. Check it out. (CLICK THIS for link). And sorry guys- there is no brown note. Although Southpark references it to an exact frequency...

"92 cents below the lowest octave of E-Flat" LOL!

Thank you Wikipedia. Thank you so much.

So everyone remember to tune your pianos regularly... OR ELSE!!

...

Oh, I remember what I was looking for now... I was looking to see if a perpetual motion machine had been created. This was a cool theoretical device (if it worked).