Monday, October 1, 2007

Differing Tones

The experiment of differing tones and how we perceive sound changing by way of nodes was a simple, yet interesting experience. It would be especially nice to see how Lucier's actual set up for an installation / art gallery was done and how people reacted to the shifting sounds. Going to many concerts, I definitely know how where one stands in regards to the speakers can affect the music experience of live bands. Very often I find I am near the very front but off the the far left or right of center stage with one ear a few feet away from the speakers and the other facing away towards the crowd. The idea of Lucier's installation done in a revolving circular room, possibly with the speakers revolving in the opposite direction, was something I had wondered about in class. As well as changing other factors of two different tones, such as them having different pitch or some effects being used on them such as filtering or reverb. The other big thing I thought to myself was actual differences in sound and how the brain might possibly "hear" things different to how they actually are. One such case would be my alarm clock, which has a typical annoying repeating sound. I find that sometimes, on days when I don't even want to get up to turn it off, that if I listen to the sound of the alarm noise in a certain way the rhythmn actually changes. It sounds less like a repeating noise and more like two slightly different sounds set to a different, almost faster beat. Just by changing the way I am hearing and thinking about these two seperate alarm clock noises I can focus really hard and switch the way I hear them and alternate the differing sounds to hear, in my head, a type of dancey melody. It's hard to explain really, but I think it is an apt example of how we actually hear sounds and what we think we hear and then the whole idea of the sound of sound.

No comments: