Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Aural Shortcomings of Kiehle

Yesterday I visited the exhibit at Kiehle and spent about half an hour observing, listening, and taking notes on the three works featuring sound. When I entered I first noticed the large organ flanked by spinning skull disks, however I chose to investigate the dark speaker-corner first. When I entered the small side exhibit I didn't notice any immediate sound coming from the four speakers (apx. 3" speaker cones w/1" tweeters). Thinking the device might somehow be activated by motion I made a brisk walk around the strange boxed television in the center of the floorspace and watched the lightening-over-water video. Suddenly I realized there were small chirps coming from each of the speakers. They were so quiet I had been dismissing them as audio glitches and crackles coming from the audio track. When I moved closer (with my ear about an inch from the back left speaker) I heard faint birdsong behind the louder chirps. Moving close proved to be a poor decision however because the birds were quickly replaced with much louder audio of something that sounded like cars accelerating within a large warehouse (added reverb I think). As I jerked my head away from the speaker I heard the sound distort strangely as if granulated or chopped and edited in order to repeat a portion of the acceleration sound. More cars were gradually added to the audio and overlapping accelerations were heard for about two or three minutes. The sound seemed to come primarily from the left and right front speakers with a slight pan between the two of them. After the cars died away it went back to the bird chirps. The full audio loop seems to run about five or six minutes total.
After listening to the loop a second time I was able to form an opinion of the piece (though it would have been helpful to find out what exactly the artist was trying to achieve). I consider this piece to be a failure (at least in its auditory aspects) for several reasons. Though the artist has four speakers surrounding their audience, there was hardly any spacilzation in the piece. Why not make the cars accelerate around the listener? Why not have birds chirping on your left, and then your right, and then in front of you? Additionally, the material itself (cars and bird chirps) was rater dull in my opinion. If this piece is commenting on a contrast between nature and technology, with natural and unnatural sounds, there are plenty more samples they could have used to add variety and keep the listener interested. As for the television in the center of the floor... I guess it's just over my head.
The second exhibit I observed was a projected image of what appeared to be the corner of wall or column slowly changing hues across the spectrum. The projector sat on a raised white block along with a single speaker box about 7" by 5". The speaker was playing what sounded like a young girl making indistinguishable, slightly melodic sounds. Her voice sample was about 2 minutes long and looped on the audio track repeatedly.
As far as the audio goes, I think it could have been looped better. There is an audible click as the loop repeats and it doesn't sound as if it's intentional. This piece seemed more focused on the visual aspect of presentation then the previous exhibit. Without knowing the artist's motivation I don't think I can judge the art as a success or failure. I really have no idea what they were trying to achieve with this and walked away with a general sense of confusion.
The final artwork I examined was the organ with the spinning speakers. Two sets of three 8" speakers mounted to a spinning disk driven by a motor belt. My intimidate interest was drawn to the spinning mechanisms as I wondered how they made the speakers rotate without creating a twisted mess of wires in the back. I discovered that the audio signal was sent through two contacts pressed against the rotating axle. Kudos on the build design. Moving to the front of the organ I saw a loop pedal attached to the organ output and an unplugged 1/4" jack running out from it. A microphone on a stand was also attached to the setup. On top of the left side of the organ a projector displayed a video of what appeared to be the artist recording several chords on the organ into his loop pedal, then picking up his guitar and playing it while singing into the microphone. Audio could barely be heard as it came from a small inaccessible speaker attached to the window of the exhibit hall. I could hear the organ chords but the guitar and vocals were practically inaudible.
This work was also a disappointment to me as it seemed to have great potential. He has an organ, he has a guitar, he has a microphone, he has a loop pedal and six spinning speakers and a complete recording of a performance with his remarkable setup. Why aren't I allowed to hear anything? I'd like to know what six spinning speakers sound like! Instead I get one tiny speaker I can't hear. What gives man? Is this a piece about a performance? Are we supposed to be satisfied with the knowledge that we could have heard something unique and interesting if we had been in the right place at the right time? Artistically and technically the work is quite impressive. From the skulled speakers, to the looming organ with written lyrics and song, to the guitar pick set casually beside the keyboard, the whole setup screams music and sound and showmanship. Where's the show? It's sure not coming through that projector very well.

No comments: