Sunday, October 21, 2012

Solaris by Tarkovsky

This past thursday I watched Solaris by Tarkovsky. First of all this movie was awesome and I recommend it to EVERYONE! The translations were excellent, which I have not seen that done that well in any foreign films I have watched. There were so many examples in the film that go well with al the things we have talked about in class. For example there was a use of the same sci-fi sound that was used everytime the Solaris cloud itself were shown and than there was one more time when this sound came in when Kris Kelvin was on Solaris for the first time. I also thought there was a good use of leight motive through out the film. There were also excellent examples of non diajected sound, for example when at the begining of the film there was an episode where on tv they were showing a group of people that were disscusing the first trip ever to Solaris, there was also this Sci-Fi sound that I thought would play a good example of non diajetic sound. Also this movie was really big with internal sounds, where narration would fall in to both the on screen and off screen. Also another awesome thing I have noticed in the film is about sound that are familiar to us, were used in something that is unfamiliar which totally fell perfectly with the film itself talking about Solaris being this discovered, yet completely undiscovered planet.  I also thought that Tarkovsky was excellent with use of sounds for internal logic.
What an awesome film!

No comments: