Sunday, February 6, 2011

Scratch the surface

From Christopher Hobbs reenactment of the Richmond Journey concert, it struck me that the scratch orchestra performed in non-traditional performance space. When doing the initial research it was never brought to my attention that when they performed it was not always in a space I am costumed to seeing a performance in. There is another aspect to the orchestra in which a concert may take all day moving from one space to another while performing different compositions. I must say my excitement about the group just exploded into hysteria. How amazing, especially for the performers. Going on an adventure with a group, experiencing what the composer instructed in their score. Your learning and performing the best way, through live interaction. Hobbs stated how much of an impact the orchestra had on the members even with its short life span. I’m able to understand this impact better through hearing an actual member telling the events. As stated by Christopher Hobbs, “John Cages’s notion that all noises, and all silences, can be music was the underlying inspiration.”

No comments: