Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A new twist on Dumb and Dumber

I found the greatest example of Mickey mousing this week. In a brief attempt to relax during finals week I rented a few movies. Against my better judgment I picked up the new film Blonde and Blonder and found that while it was extreme corny it was also absolutely hilarious and it was a great example of Mickey mousing.

It wasn’t really special sound effects that worked this way, although there were a few times that followed this usual example, but the musical accompaniment itself. Most of the pit music was made up of empathetic Broadway style motives and songs that worked to punctuate certain scenes and events and make the film absolutely ridiculous. To top that off, the film makers saw fit to decide that they even needed to add verbal punctuation in to the scenes to send it over the top.

I don’t think that there was any music specifically composed for this film, but instead certain motives were added from older comedies that through semantic listening were easily recognizable and extremely noticeable. These specific motives were highly effective combined with the verbal and filmed punctuation within the scenes and made for what I’ve labeled stupid comedy which rates right next to Austin Powers, but with a few less lewd jokes. I’ll just leave it at I was pleasantly surprised with the comical aspect of this film.

No comments: