Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Reflection of this Class (before completion of paper)

I remember early on posting an item about how this class could possibly change our perception of movies and the cinema in general, whether it was for the good or the bad.  I'm not sure if it was assigned or a free blog, but I thought I would address the aftermath of my own experience in the class being someone who usually gets pretty burnt out on analysis when it comes to things that I regularly enjoy.

Firstly.  I notice that among some of my peers- analysis is really fun.  Some others... pure hell. I am somewhat in the middle- being that I like analysis of things I like for a very short portion of time (for the most part- some things being excepted from this list).  

So what do I think about picking apart movies...  I think I have survived.  Although I was heavily skeptical when it came to subscribing to some of the ideas put out by the class and by Chion's book and take on analysis, I feel that I actually can enjoy cinema more after taking the class.  The only unfortunate part is that you are able to find where a movie has a hole.  Something that would make a normal movie great, for instance, I began to realize that some movies are still just normal movies although they had the chance to be something more.  This, coming from a non-movie-critic.  So I am definitely not the first choice in saying whether or not a movie *has it* or not.

But in the mean time, if others are taking a look at this class' blog from another class hoping to decide whether or not this class will be enlightening or not- it is.  

This class has not ruined movie watching for me.

No comments: