Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fluxus and my dislike about it

By Olga Oseth
Fluxus is a name taken from Latin word meaning to flow- it is an international network of artists composers and designers noted for blending different artistic media and disciplines in 1960. They were very active with Neo-Dada noise music and visual art as well as literature and urban planning and architecture and design. Fluxus can also be described as intermedia. Fluxus was mostly explored by Cage in his experimental music in the 50’s. His most famous work for that was 4’33”. I have watched this on youtube performed by the full orchestra. I think it is stupid to have a conductor, full orchestra, all the instruments, make performers dress in concert attire and not play/make a single sound the whole performance. I do not understand how people would even pay money to listen to silence. I mean John Cage has some nice works but this is just a joke for classical musicians and I think for experimental music as well. I mean this piece there was literary NO SOUND, not even the clock ticking. What is up with that? I do not understand how did Cage even write this. In my opinion this is not even written its nothing with a name to it, I can take silence and call it Feathers for example and it would be the same this as Cage’s 4’33”. I have also tried to find other works on fluxus and I will tell you I was not impressed with any of it. Another work that I found was Fluxus/Performance Art: Do Geese See God? And I mean maybe the art would be modern art that I do not understand but I do not see hoe smelling/talking to the dead goose is going to answer any questions about God, ridiculous! The music that they put to this video was also inappropriate for my taste. I guess I am not a person who understands this art. Another example of fluxus I found is called George Maciunas – fluxus. This piece includes man in professional suits with boxes instead of heads. Music was not bad, I liked the whisper because it went well with the whole idea of creepy but I just don’t see this whole box thing.
                                                           

No comments: