Monday, March 22, 2010

Electric Mic

The second or third week of class we created a cheap and portable electric microphone. It wasn't too hard to construct, and it consisted of a single electric mic that can be purchased online from radioshack or other sources. If I remember correctly the price was about 5 dollars which is suuuuuuuper cheap for a mic. I have a couple low end professional ones and they both cost 80 dollars a piece. Anyway to make this thing run all we had to do was wire it to a 9 volt battery and do some power manipulating with a resistor and a capacitor. This kept the power running into the mic at a level that made it work correctly. We then wired the output into a 1/8 inch jack to plug it into our portable amps. I've been wondering what happens when you run power incorrectly into it but apparently the outcome is bad. Not good bad either, which is a dissapointment. I've had alot of ideas about how to use these mics. Mostly, I want to make alot of them, maybe around ten, and mic up an entire room. You could put one on each wall, and a few on the ceiling and floor. It would be good to have one in each corner of the room as well so maybe more then ten would be even better. You would probablly have to set the gain pretty low on each mic to reduce noise, but you may be able to get a very very satisfying hiss comming from all of them as well. You would have to use long wire on the outputs but you could run them all into a small mixer to tweak the levels. Then you could run output of this small mixer into a larger mixer, into a mono or stereo channel. From there the limits are endless. You could record guitars, vocals, drums or whatever and pick up the sound of all around the room. The room's little vibrations and its acoustics would also get picked up. Personally I would use it to try to get a really really huge guitar sound, or just to spice up rock recordings with a better room sound. It would also be super benificial to vocal recording, Instead of holding a mic like I usualy have to in my makeshift studio without a mic stand I could simply wear my headphones and sing from whatever part of the room I felt sounded the best. I could even move around in the mic-field and probablly get a weird effect out of it. As far as drums go I think they would sound extremely Lo-Fi but beautiful, If you could fiddle with the eq to get the bass and snare to stick out just right I think you could get some great crap sounding drums. Like poorly recorded punk drumming, or maybe an ancient 40's sounding trap set sound. The best thing about this idea is that is do able for cheap, I already have to mixers and all I need now are enough little electric mics, 9 volt batteries, and compacitors + resistors.

1 comment:

B. Larson said...

That sounds like a really neat idea. If you actually set that up, let me know, I could run some recording tests. I'd like to record some music. :)