Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Physical Music


I look at music in a very elementary way, that is, until I think of the physical concepts.
We all know music is audio and our ears adjust to it (scientifically speaking) because of waves, which make our ears tingle or what not.
*But what else is involved with music?
*Is it more than just the waves bouncing around in our ears?... I think so.
I believe there is an extra force which determines your overall experience with music that nobody can describe or talk about. This force effects the artist as well as the listener. Take for instance the experience I had listening to Prof.T's convocation on radio amplification of different stations of static. My overall experience was a complete disaster, but why? Maybe...
1.) My brain has never shot those signals of music around before
2.) The material was unacceptable in the "radio edit" culture we live in.
Neither...Both of these answers are incorrect, at least with what I am getting at.. You have most likely learned those two concepts in music world cultures.
The actual identity I am looking for deals with that outer emotion. The sense we talked about where "Deaf people can hear certain things". WHY can they? I don't care why, but I know how it makes me feel- For instance...
I went to an Incubus concert 3 years ago. I love Incubus. I hated them live. Their performance was amazing, but the feedback drove me up the wall. The frequency of high pitched physical sound that is, drove me up the wall. Even though this happened, I still felt GOOD about the experience. After Prof.T's performance, I wish i never went because it was so ridiculous.
That is the best I can explain this "6th sense to music", and no offense to Prof.T's performance, as I said in class it was well worth it now that I have learned more about his concepts.
~James

No comments: